Conwy County Borough Council
- Structural Engineering
Caulmert Limited worked closely with architectural partners Donald Insall Associates to enable as many of the recovered components as possible to be re-used in the resurrected pier.
The Grade II listed pier in Colwyn Bay opened in 1900. After many years of neglect it was dismantled in 2018 with those components capable of recovery being taken into store. The restored pier, albeit a truncated version of the original re-uses original cast iron components together with new, fabricated steel girders and a magnificent timber deck fully captures the elegance of the late Victorian period when it was first erected.
The structure is supported by the original cast iron screw piles which carry new steel lattice girders designed by Caulmert but closely following the slender dimensions of the originals. Almost all of the handrail stanchions and decorative infill panels are also original. The mountings for the stanchions have been discretely re-designed to provide a more robust mounting, removing a weakness from the original design while ensuring that the handrails now comply with current loading requirements. The promenade wall and abutment have also been sensitively modified to improve their robustness.